Legal and Research Advisor | Auckland City
|Position Type:||Fixed Term Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Job Description.pdf (PDF, 165KB)
|Application Close Date:||18-Nov-2018|
Legal and Research Advisor (6 months Fixed Term), Judicial and Business Services, Auckland
- Be part of a small, professional and high-performing legal team.
- Work on challenging issues at the cutting edge of the interface between the judiciary and the Ministry.
- Build valuable collegial relationships with members of the judiciary and Ministry staff.
The Ministry of Justice provides a range of justice services around New Zealand. We have more than 3000 people working across 120 locations around the country, all working towards our vision of a safe and just New Zealand.
We are currently seeking an experienced and proactive Legal and Research Advisor to support the Immigration and Protection Tribunal. This is a role where your enthusiasm, initiative and keen eye for detail will be key in providing timely, robust and accurate legal research and support to New Zealand's tribunals.
About the role:
Your day-to-day work will be busy. Your primary focus will be drafting succinct summaries of Immigration and Protection Tribunal decisions for publication on Ministry-administered databases. You will work closely with decision makers, legal colleagues, registry staff and management and gain insight into legal decision-making processes. Your wider activities may include providing high quality legal and research support to the Tribunal, creating legal updates, and helping your colleagues when required. This role is an opportunity to work hard, be proactive and make a difference alongside your colleagues in the Legal and Research Advisor team.
Skills and experience required:
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- fantastic interpersonal skills
- excellent time management and self-management skills
- experience drafting headnotes or case summaries
- the ability to work largely independently while being open to collaboration
- excellent spelling, grammar and attention to detail
- sound knowledge of immigration and refugee law
- an intellectually curious outlook
- a Bachelor of Laws degree
- New Zealand permanent residency or citizenship.
This is a six-month fixed-term, full-time position based in central Auckland. The salary range for the role is $56,050–$75,832 per annum.
How to apply:
To apply, click the Apply button below to be directed to our Careers Website. You can view a detailed position description at the site, as well as complete an online application form by attaching your CV and cover letter. For tracking purposes, all applications must be submitted via our online process.
Applications close on Sunday 18 November 2018.