Duty Lawyer Supervisor | Auckland Region
|Position Type:||Permanent Part Time|
|Attachments:|| Job Description.pdf (PDF, 167KB)
|Application Close Date:||30-Sep-2018|
Duty Lawyer Supervisor (Part Time - two days per week), Papakura and Pukekohe Public Defence Service
- Satisfying, interesting and challenging work
- Supportive, experienced and talented colleagues
- Senior role with opportunity to lead and influence
We are looking for an experienced criminal lawyer, with recent duty lawyer experience, to lead the Duty Lawyer service at Papakura and Pukekohe. The role is part time and will be for one day a week at each site.
The Public Defence Service (PDS) is New Zealand's largest criminal law practice, providing high quality legal advice and representation in a full range of criminal cases. Aimed at helping people access justice, the PDS promotes the values of respect, integrity, service and the delivery of excellent service to its clients. In this role you are the voice of some of the most marginalised people in the criminal justice system.
To qualify you must be passionate about criminal justice issues and:
- be qualified to practise law in New Zealand
- have Provider Approval Level 2 or above
- have proven credibility with Judges, peers and others in the legal community
- be comfortable as part of a team who support and rely on one-another
- enjoy sharing legal expertise, exchanging ideas and brainstorming
- have empathy and the ability to relate to a wide range of people
This is a satisfying role which our Duty Lawyers Supervisors enjoy undertaking.
You will report to the Senior Duty Lawyer Supervisor- Northern.
As an employee of the PDS you will have access to a well-designed and embedded national training programme, professional development and opportunities to attend conferences, along with access to a professional supervision programme. The PDS is part of the Ministry of Justice and the wider justice sector. The ministry provides centralised business services, infrastructure and support to the work of the PDS.
To apply, complete the application form, attaching your CV and cover letter. Applications close on Sunday 30 September 2018.