Wellington Public Defender | Wellington City
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Job Description.pdf (PDF, 172KB)
|Application Close Date:||27-Jun-2018|
Wellington Public Defender, Public Defence Service
- Lead a team of talented, dedicated and professional lawyers
- Contribute to the growth and development of some of New Zealand's best and brightest young lawyer's
- Grow your leadership skills AND have trial time; around half of your time will be focused on leadership and operational support, with the remainder of your time managing a varied caseload
The Public Defence Service (PDS) is New Zealand's largest criminal law practice, providing high quality legal advice and representation in a full range of criminal cases. Aimed at helping all people of New Zealand access justice, the PDS promotes the values of respect, integrity, service and the delivery of excellent service to its clients. PDS Public Defenders are the voice of some of the most marginalised people in the criminal justice system.
Right now, the PDS are looking for an outstanding senior lawyer with specialist expertise and experience in criminal advocacy to lead a professional and committed team in our centrally located Wellington office. Reporting directly to the Public Defender Southern, the Wellington Public Defender is an integral member of the PDS Legal Management Team and critical to the achievement of PDS' operational and strategic goals. This really is a role where you can truly make a tangible difference to people's lives every day.
Opportunities like this don't come along every day, so If you thrive in a challenging environment, are passionate about criminal justice and delivering the best outcomes for your client's, enjoy the security of a regular salary, paid holidays and sick leave this could be the role for you!
To be successful you need to bring:
- a PAL 4 approval level and be qualified to practice law in New Zealand
- specialist expertise and experience in criminal advocacy
- demonstrated credibility with judges, peers and other in the legal community
- excellent relationship and people management skills
- confidence in your ability to inspire, support and empower your team
- empathy and the ability to relate to a wide range of people
In return, the PDS offers varied case work, a national training programme including considerable professional development opportunities and a professional supervision programme and a collegial and supportive environment.
The PDS is part of the Ministry of Justice and the wider justice sector.
Salary range: $140,000 - $160,000
To apply please complete the application form, attaching your CV and cover letter. Applications close on Wednesday 27 June 2018.