Duty Lawyer supervisor | Auckland Region
|Position Type:||Permanent Part Time|
|Attachments:|| PDS Duty Lawyer Supervisor PD.pdf (PDF, 160KB)
|Application Close Date:||28-Mar-2018|
Duty Lawyer Supervisors Waitakere and Manukau Part time – two days a week
- Satisfying, interesting and challenging work
- Supportive, experienced and talented colleagues
- Senior role with opportunity to lead and influence
We are looking for two experienced criminal lawyers, with recent duty lawyer experience, to lead the Duty Lawyer Service at either Manukau or Waitakere Court. These are part time positions, each for two days per week.
The Public Defence Service (PDS) is New Zealand's largest criminal law practice, providing high quality legal advice and representation in a full range of criminal cases. Aimed at helping people access justice, the PDS promotes the values of respect, integrity, service and the delivery of excellent service to its clients. In this role you are the voice of some of the most marginalised people in the criminal justice system.
To qualify you must be passionate about criminal justice issues and:
- be qualified to practise law in New Zealand
- have Provider Approval Level 2 or above
- have proven credibility with Judges, peers and others in the legal community
- be comfortable as part of a team who support and rely on one-another
- enjoy sharing legal expertise, exchanging ideas and brainstorming
- have empathy and the ability to relate to a wide range of people
This is a satisfying role which our Duty Lawyers Supervisors enjoy undertaking.
You will report to the Senior Duty Lawyer Supervisor- Northern, and work closely with the Office Public Defender.
As an employee of the PDS you will have access to a well-designed and embedded national training programme, professional development and opportunities to attend conferences, along with access to a professional supervision programme. The PDS is part of the Ministry of Justice and the wider justice sector. The ministry provides centralised business services, infrastructure and support to the work of the PDS.
To apply, click the Apply button below to be directed to our Careers Website. You can view a detailed position description at the site, as well as complete an online application form by attaching your CV and cover letter. For tracking purposes, all applications must be submitted via our online process.