Intermediate or senior lawyer
|Position Type:||Permanent Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Position Description - PDS Intermediate Lawyer.docx (Word, 149KB)
Position Description - PDS Senior Lawyer.docx (Word, 150KB)
|Application Close Date:||26-Mar-2017|
Intermediate and Senior Level Lawyers
Wellington Public Defence Service
Vacancy # MOJ/1264430
• Significant time in court and running trials
• Satisfying, interesting and intellectually challenging work
• Join a team of experienced, talented and supportive colleagues
The Public Defence Service (PDS) is New Zealand’s largest criminal law practice, providing high quality legal advice and representation in a full range of criminal cases. Aimed at helping people access justice, the PDS promotes the values of respect, integrity, service and the delivery of excellent service to its clients. In this role you are the voice of some of the most marginalised people in the criminal justice system.
We are currently looking for intermediate and senior level lawyers with a strong interest in criminal advocacy to join the team in our vibrant capital city’s central Wellington office – with clients at the Wellington, Porirua and Hutt District Courts as well as the higher courts. You will join a team of around 25 legal and support staff with a range of experience and a genuine interest in sharing knowledge and supporting one-another in a busy and sometimes challenging environment.
To be successful you must be passionate about criminal justice issues and:
• be qualified to practice law in New Zealand
• have a PAL2, PAL3 or PAL 4 listing – or the ability to obtain in the immediate future
• have proven credibility with judges, peers and others in the legal community
• enjoy sharing legal expertise, exchanging ideas and brainstorming
• have empathy and the ability to relate to a wide range of people
This is a challenging but truly satisfying job and our lawyers love what they do.
The PDS is part of the Ministry of Justice and the wider justice sector. The ministry provides centralised business services, infrastructure and support to the work of the PDS.
"There is so much more support and collegiality than anywhere else I have worked. You have so many experts around you to bounce ideas off. (Edith)"
To apply, complete the application form, attaching your CV and cover letter. Applications close on Sunday 26 March 2017.